Wigs are a versatile accessory that can be used to change up your look, whether you’re dealing with hair loss, dressing up for Halloween, or simply want to experiment with a new hairstyle. They come in various types, including those made from real hair, synthetic hair, or a mix of both. Learning how to properly wear a wig can help you achieve a natural and comfortable look. Here’s a simple guide to help you put on a wig:
Step 1: Choose the Right Type of Wig Consider your style preferences and the occasion for wearing the wig. Real hair wigs provide the most natural look and feel and offer the ability to style, cut, and dye them. Synthetic wigs are more affordable and come pre-styled, making them convenient for short-term use like Halloween parties. You can also opt for a mix of natural and synthetic hair for a balance between realism and cost-effectiveness.
Step 2: Prepare Your Hair To ensure a smooth and natural-looking base for your wig, it’s important to prepare your hair accordingly:
- If you have short hair: Brush it back and use pins or hair products like gel, mousse, or hairspray to keep it flat and secure.
- If you have long hair: Braid your hair before putting on the wig. Starting at the back, place the wig cap firmly on your head, adjusting it as needed.
Step 3: Flatten Your Hair When you decide to forgo the wig cap, it becomes crucial to flatten your hair properly. Here are a few methods to achieve this:
- Cornrows: Consider cornrowing your hair, as it not only flattens it but also protects it. This method minimizes any discomfort caused by wearing the wig for long periods.
- Braiding: Braiding your natural hair is another effective way to prepare for wearing a wig without the cap. Although it may not completely flatten your hair, it still keeps it protected and moisturized. Opt for small braids to minimize bumps.
- Twists or Flat Twists: Twist your hair or create flat twists before putting on the wig without the cap. Ensure the twists are small in size to avoid any lumps or bumps beneath the wig.
Step 4: Prepare Your Skin Before wearing the wig, it’s important to prep your skin to ensure a secure and comfortable fit. Follow these steps:
- Apply a gentle cleanser around your hairline, avoiding harsh chemicals that may cause reactions or allergies.
- Eliminate excess oil from your scalp by using rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad and wiping it along the edges of your hair.
- If you have sensitive skin, consider using a serum to protect your scalp.
Step 5: Putting on the Wig Without the Cap Once you’ve prepared your hair and skin, it’s time to wear the wig. Follow these steps to put on the wig without the wig cap:
- Hold the wig from the backside with both hands. Tilt your head slightly forward and apply the wig from front to back, similar to putting on a bathing cap.
- Adjust the front of the wig so that it sits just above your eyebrows. Think of the wig as a bathing cap and position it accordingly.
- Push the front of the wig backward until it reaches just below your hairline. Ensure the ear tabs on both sides are facing your ears and not covered. Check for comfort and gently tuck in any stray hair.
For the most natural look and feel, consider investing in a wig made of real hair. These wigs can be styled, cut, and even dyed, offering versatility and durability. Local wig shops can provide guidance on the best options, and for those without nearby stores, online wig stores like HairbyTee24.ca offer a variety of human hair wig collections.
Remember to experiment, have fun, and embrace the transformative power of wigs as you explore new hairstyles and express your unique style!